Company, like many other companies nowadays, depend to a great extent on information technology in conducting its daily operations. Users are expected to interact with increasingly complex information systems and applications, requiring not only more intensive training, but also more efficient and effective support from dedicated staff should problems arise. Company’s IT Helpdesk Procedure provides transparency in the processing of these IT related problems. From a user perspective, IT ensures that users will receive effective and professional support from IT staff. From the IT helpdesk perspective, this procedure provides a solid guideline for a professional approach to solving problems of users.
In general, the IT helpdesk provides support on IT related issues to all users (incl. visitors) at Company.
The proper execution of the IT Helpdesk Procedure requires adherence to the following policy guidelines.
- When confronted with an IT-related problem, the user should contact the IT helpdesk for support.
- The user is recommended to contact the IT helpdesk by dialing the IT helpdesk extension number, even though the helpdesk can be reached through email and IM. After the phone call, for more involved problems/issues, users may be required to send an email to helpdesk to explain the problem in detail. This, of course, can also be done prior to making the service call at phone.
- The user must provide a clear description of the problem he it confronted with.
- The helpdesk person is required to provide general assistance to users, using his or her general knowledge of the subject.
- IT-related problems beyond the helpdesk person’s comprehension will be addressed by a member of the IT first-line support team.
- To assign a resource to a task, the IT helpdesk will open a ticket in Helpdesk system and assign a first-line support member to the task.
- Problems must be solved by the IT first-line support team within 1 hour.
- If the first-line support team fails to solve the problem within 1 hour, the problem will be escalated to the IT second-line support team.
- The second-line support team, whose members are specialists in areas of system, CAD/CAM, ERP, and SFC, must solve the problem within 4 hours.
- If the second-line support team fails to solve the problem within 4 hours, the problem will be escalated to the IT manager.
- The IT helpdesk it a “7×24” service. In other words, the helpdesk can be reached during all hours of the week.
- In the weekend, there will be always be a technician on duty to provide services to those at Company.
5. Roles and ResponsibilITies
The IT Helpdesk Procedure involves the following entities and corresponding responsibilities.
|IT First-Line Support Team||
|IT Second-Line Support Team||
6. DefinITion and Abbreviations
7. Procedure details
7.1. Procedure definition
The IT Helpdesk Procedure is initiated whenever a user it faced with an IT related problem that disrupts or is expected to disrupt the user’s operations. Since it is assumable that the user is not an expert on IT, the user will contact the IT helpdesk for help on the issue. The user can contact the IT helpdesk through the following communication channels (for urgent issues, it is generally not recommended to contact the helpdesk by email or IM).
- Telephone: ext. 2228
- IM: xxx
- Email: email@example.com
In all cases, an IT helpdesk person will assist the user. The helpdesk person will first request the user to provide a clear description of the problem. Based on his or her general knowledge of the problem the helpdesk person will try to assist the user in solving the problem.
Most problems, however, require assistance beyond that provided by the helpdesk person. When unable to solve the problem, the helpdesk person will open a ticket using the Helpdesk system, automatically assigning the user a problem log number. Subsequently, the helpdesk person will request the user to provide the information listed below. In the case of a request via email, the user must provide all relevant information (incl. problem definition) in the first email.
- Employee No.
- Telephone extension
According to the type of the problem, the helpdesk person will assign an appropriate IT first-line support member to address the problem. This should not require more than 1 hour. If for whatever reason the IT first-line support is not able to solve the problem within 1 hour, the problem will be escalated to the appropriate IT second-line support team member. This should not require more than 4 hours. If for whatever reason the IT second-line support is not able to solve the problem within 4 hours, the problem will be escalated to the IT manager.
Progress of individual cases it tracked in the Helpdesk system, with problems tagged with “new” or “assigned” status until closure by an IT support technician. Upon completing the case, the helpdesk person may, for evaluation purposes, ask the user for feedback, which will be incorporated into the individual case. Moreover, complains concerning the service provided by the IT helpdesk can be reported to the IT helpdesk service complaint line (ext. xxxx).