The purchasing of IT related hardware and software must be strictly regulated in order to ensure that company standard-compliant hardware and software are purchased and installed (non-company standard hardware and software require additional approval), and (2) expenditures for hardware and software do not exceed the allocated budget. Company Hardware and Software Purchasing Procedure addresses this issue by providing a guideline to users, IT staff, and Purchasing staff in purchasing IT related hardware and software according to corporate standards.
The Hard- and Software Purchasing Procedure is applicable to all IT related hardware (e.g. desktops, monitors, etc.) and software (e.g. applications), requested by users. The procedure covers all activities from user request to final implementation of hardware and software by IT.
IT Department Manager
In order to ensure proper execution of the Hardware and Software Purchasing Procedure, the following guidelines should be taken into account.
- All hardware and software requests must be made using the Computer Hardware/Software Request Form.
- Desktop and laptop requests must be made using the Desktop/PC Requisition Form and the Laptop Requisition Form respectively.
- All company standard-compliant hardware and software requests require approval from the user’s department manager AND the IT manager.
- All non-company standard hardware and software requests must be evaluated (i.e., researched) by IT, and approved by BOTH the department manager and the IT manager.
- Desktop and laptop requests must be approved by a PMT member and verified by the IT manager.
- All newly purchased hardware and software must be properly administered.
- Hardware and software expenditures must never exceed the available budget.
- The Hardware and Software Purchasing Procedure must be regularly reviewed and, if necessary, adjusted to reflect current conditions.
5. Roles and Responsibilities
The Hardware and Software Purchasing Procedure involves the following entities with the corresponding responsibilities.
6. Definitions and Abbreviations
Hardware: The physical equipment or devices included in computer systems.
Software: Computer programs, procedures, rules, and possibly documentation and data pertaining to the operation of the computer system.
IT: Information Technology
NPR: New Product Request (Purchasing)
PC: Personal Computer
PMT: Plant Management Team
7. Procedure details
7.1. Procedure definition
7.1.1. General procedure (non-laptop, non-desktop)
Users wishing to have specific software and/or hardware should obtain the Computer Hardware/Software Requisition Form from IT. The user should complete and submit the form to his department manager for review. The department manager will review the application and approve or disapprove the request. If approved, the department manager will forward the application to the IT manager for a second review. The IT manager determines whether or not the requested software and/or hardware is Company Standard-compliant. Software and/or hardware that are not company standard need to be reviewed by IT staff to assess if it fits into the current IT system/portfolio. IT will then return the application to the IT manager for approval. If approved, the IT manager will contact Purchasing to place the order. Hardware and software that are delivered by suppliers will be received by IT, which administers and installs the new hardware and software.
7.1.2. Desktop procedure
The procedure for purchasing desktop computers is similar to that described in 7.1.1. The only difference is that the purchase of desktop computers requires the approval of a PMT member, rather than the department manager.
7.1.3. Laptop procedure
The procedure for purchasing laptop computers is similar to that described in 7.1.1. The only difference is that the purchase of laptop computers requires the approval of a PMT member, rather than the department manager.
7.2. Procedure flow charts
7.2.1. General procedure (non-laptop, non-desktop)
7.2.2. Desktop procedure
7.2.3. Laptop procedure